Artist-Dealer Relationships Clinic
In 2012, New York passed an amendment to its Arts & Cultural Affairs Law, N.Y. Arts & Cult. Aff. Law §12.01 (2012), that affects the consignment relationship between artists and dealers and creates critical new duties—and liabilities, for the art dealer. Most importantly, it makes using any form of agreement drafted under the old law risky, particularly for the gallery or consignee. In 2022, Center for Art Law is launching its third clinic, the Artist-Dealer Relationships Clinic.
The Clinic connects artists, dealers, and attorneys to forge meaningful relations and provide a platform for artists and dealers to learn about consignment agreements and have their questions on the topic addressed by experts in the field.
In addition to one-on-one pro bono consultations, the Clinic will offer primers, workshops and webinars on the law governing artist-dealer relations and facilitate conversations between artists, dealers and attorneys on drafting and negotiating contracts and consignment agreements.
If you are interested in the clinic or would like to participate in any way as an artist, dealer or attorney, please fill out our interest survey here.
Upcoming Clinic Events
Tuesday July 12, 2022 at 12PM
Speakers: Fabian Lang, Judd Grossman & Irina Tarsis
To view or gain more information about our previous programming, please visit our Event Archives.
June 6, 2022
12:00 PM EST
ARTIST-DEALER RELATIONSHIPS: READING THE FINE PRINT
Join the Center for Art Law in conversation with Eric Aho, an artist represented by the DC Moore Gallery, and Dean Nicyper, partner at Withers Worldwide as they discuss on contracts, consignments, the art market and more from the perspective of an artist and an attorney.
May 25, 2022
6:00 PM EST
National Arts Club Sculpture Garden
ARTIST-DEALER RELATIONSHIPS: CONTRACTS, CONSIGNMENT AGREEMENTS AND NEGOTIATION
Join the National Arts Club and Center for Art Law in conversation with Dean Nicyper, partner at Withers Worldwide, artist Paula Scher, and fine art dealer and artist Jim Kempner. Together, the panelists will discuss their experiences and the intricacies of drafting and negotiating consignment agreements from the perspectives of an attorney, dealer, and artist.
April 7, 2022
12:00 PM EST
WORKSHOP ON LICENSING AND NEGOTIATION
Join the Center for Art Law along with Catlan McCurdy, Esq. in a presentation that covers licensing and negotiation in arts contracts.
Volunteer Attorneys and Professionals
Who may register?
· The 1:1 consultations that occur at the Clinic are suitable to any artist or dealer interested in learning more contracts and consignment agreements to build artist-dealer relations. Additionally, all are welcome to attend and listen to the Keynote Address.
· The Clinic best serves those artists who have no attorneys and are seeking a first-time legal consultation.
How do I register?
· Pre-registration is mandatory for a $10 fee.
· Registration takes place through Eventbrite, where you will need to fill out a confidential intake form which will enable us to find you the assistance that you need.
· Dial-in details and other instructions will be emailed once registration has been confirmed; be sure to check your emails in the days leading up to the Clinic.
How do I prepare for the Clinic?
· While filling out the registration form you can mention any specific questions or areas you need a consultation in.
· You can prepare a list of questions and concerns you have to discuss during the consultation.
What happens after the Clinic?
· The Center for Art Law will be providing a handout on Artist-Dealer relations as a guide and the contact information of the Volunteer Attorneys and Professionals participating in each session.
· If you wish to pursue the conversation with the Volunteer Attorneys or Professionals participating in the session, you should reach out to them directly!
The Center is not responsible for facilitating conversations between the participants and the volunteers after the session.
· Attending this legal clinic does not create an attorney-client relationship.
· The information provided during the individual strategy session does not constitute legal advice.
· All the information shared during the Clinic will be kept confidential.
If you have any further questions, please contact us at email@example.com.